Lightroom vs Lightroom Classic vs Photoshop - Which is Best

If you are confused between the best editing software, here is comparison of Adobe Softwares for image processing or editing, here, you will find all the information that you will need to decide, which is the best for you. Adobe has actually made it very confusing. Initially, there was only Photoshop and then came Lightroom for desktops. The original Lightroom became Lightroom Classic and Lightroom emerged as a completely different product for phone users.


Photoshop Lightroom Features

  • Cloud-Based
  • Can be used on computer or phone
  • Great for Amateurs or bloggers
  • Good for people on the move.
  • Download Link 

 

Photoshop Lightroom Classic Features

  • Computer-based application (not for phone)
  • Excellent for organizing and editing your pictures. 
  • Very powerful and user friendly to handle a large volume of data. 
  • Used by professionals
  • Can save a lot of time for basic editing compared to Photoshop
  • Can bring out the best of your RAW files.
  • Compositing (combining two or more pictures, changing background) not possible.
  • Easy to learn
  • Download Link 

 

Photoshop Features

  • Computer or iPad based application.
  • Can do everything related to pictures. 
  • Consists of Adobe Bridge for organizing your pictures, Adobe Camera RAW for processing your RAW files, and Photoshop for advanced retouching or compositing (combining two or more pictures in one) 
  • Layer based application. 
  • Used by Professionals. 
  • The learning curve is high.
  • Download Link 

 

So, which is the Best? 

If you are a blogger who is always traveling with less or no time to work on your pictures, then Lightroom should be good for you. You can do things while sitting at the airport on your mobile device.


If you are like me who travels a lot, but a serious photographer and want more control over the pictures, and don’t mind sitting on the computer then you should go for Lightroom Classic. Or, if you are a Wedding Photographer or a Wildlife Photographer, working on huge volumes of data and want to quickly fish out the best pictures, work on them and show them to the world, Lightroom Classic is the best for you.


If you are a die-hard editing fan and want to go very creative with your backgrounds using layers and don’t mind spending hours in to create a masterpiece, then Photoshop is the best for you.


In reality, most of the photographers worldwide use a combination of both Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. 

Why? The organizing (they call it Digital Asset Management) capabilities of Lightroom Classic is unmatched hands down. 

And of course, for heavy retouching, there is no choice but Photoshop.

So, using a combination of the two is the best option. 


For me (you can see my pictures on my blogs), I use LR classic for 99% of the pictures. For the rest 1% pictures processing like star trails or when I want to do Luminosity Masking for a picture where Lightroom is struggling to get the best potential of the picture (which rarely happens), Photoshop is where I go.


I feel very much at home with Lightroom and Photoshop is like the whole world to me. I am aware of only some limited areas of it, where I visit frequently. 

Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan Cost 

Includes Photoshop Lightroom, Photoshop Lightroom Classic and Photoshop costs are as below.

Annual plan, paid monthly — ₹797.68/mo. Inclusive of GST 
Annual plan, prepaid — ₹9,572.16/yr. Inclusive of GST 

If you are looking for something more affordable, you might like to try Affinity Photo

Lightroom Classic System Requirements


Processor Intel® or AMD with 64-bit with a speed of at least 2 GHz

RAM 8gb (minimum)Hard disk space 2 GB (minimum) plus another 2gb for installation

Graphics card 2GB (minimum)

Internet connection is required only to register but not for working. 

 


This post is written by Ssaurabh A Chatterjee. He is a travel photographer and a photography trainer.He strives to make every camera-owner a great photographer through his Photography workshops and Photo Tours and Photowalks.
All rights reserved. No copying without permission of the author Ssaurabh A Chatterjee

Share with others